Law | News

Police confirm attack on Atiku’s convoy, debunk Melaye’s claim

2 min read

The Inspector-General of Police, IGP Usman Alkali Baba

The Borno State Police Command has confirmed the attack on the convoy of the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, in Maiduguri, the state capital.

Earlier today, some vehicles in the convoy of the former vice president were vandalised.

Police Public Relations Officer in the state, ASP Kamilu Shatambaya, told newsmen that a 32-year-old man, Danladi Abbas, was arrested on Airport Road, Maiduguri, for throwing stones at the convoy of the former Vice President.

Shatambaya, who stated that Abbas and other hoodlums attempted to disrupt Atiku’s convoy, said the PDP presidential candidate was not attacked at the venue of the rally.

The police spokesperson stressed that the PDP presidential rally was conducted successfully under tight and adequate security coverage.

“The candidate was accompanied to the Shehu of Borno’s palace after which he was accompanied to the Ramat Square where he addressed his supporters.”

“The Commissioner of Police, Mr Abdu Umar, was also at the venue to ensure that everything went on successfully.

“However, one Danladi Abbas (32) was arrested on Airport Road, Maiduguri, for throwing stones at the motorcade of the presidential candidate.

“Abbas and other hoodlums attempted to disrupt the motorcade, but they were chased and luckily one of them was arrested and taken away for questioning,” he said.

The spokesman of the PDP presidential campaign council, Sen. Dino Melaye, had earlier said that no fewer than 74 persons were hospitalised while several vehicles were vandalised after hoodlums attacked Atiku’s convoy.

Melaye accused the All Progressives Congress (APC) of trying to stop PDP’s campaign by deploying thugs to attack its supporters, adding that Atiku’s convoy was attacked after he left the palace of Shehu of Borno on Wednesday.

However, Shatambaya said nobody has reported any case of an attack to any police station within Maiduguri and Jere, adding: “We also went round hospitals to ascertain the claim that more than 74 persons were hospitalised, but no such patient was found.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.